This recipe is provided by our talented friend and contributor Annabel Karmel, who has been a life saviour for me during the early days of mummy hood. Her recipes are always so easy to follow and my kids still love them! Here is one for you to try this Easter.
Prep: 40 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Makes: 12 muffins
175g butter, softened
175g caster sugar
250g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp milk
225g mixed dried fruits e.g. cranberries, sultanas, apricots and raisins
Zest of one small orange
80g natural marzipan, grated
A little apricot jam
Lace cupcake wrappers
- Preheat the oven to 160C Fan. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
- Measure the butter, caster sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and spices and mix into a large mixing bowl. Beat using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy. Add the fruits and orange zest and stir. Spoon half of the mixture into the cases.
- Divide the marzipan between them and then spoon the remaining mixture for the muffins on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes until well risen and lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- To decorate roll 7g of marzipan into small balls for each of the muffins and roll out the remaining marzipan and cut out circles using a 5 cm fluted cutter. Place the fluted circles of marzipan in the centre of the muffins and place a small ball of marzipan on top of each one. Use a little warmed apricot jam to attach the marzipan. Wrap each of the muffins in lace cupcake wrappers.
For lots more recipe inspiration look no further than Annabel’s Baby & Toddler Recipe App – new and updated with over 200 delicious recipes, as well as a host of features, this is the handiest of apps for tasty, nutritious mealtimes (and clean plates)! Available via the app store or visit www.annabelkarmel.com for more information.