Today’s recipe is by Miriam Cooper from Mimis Bowl.
These muffins are yummy on their own, but there is the option to add cream cheese icing, to make them extra decadent. I love baking at the weekend with my own daughter; despite the mess, we always have fun and I love to get her involved in the kitchen too.
115g unsalted butter
70g brown sugar
3 small organic eggs
70g natural yogurt
80g grated apple, 1 large apple (wash, peel, core, grate)
80g grated carrot, 1-2 carrots (wash, peel, grate)
100g plain wholemeal flour
200g plain white flour
¾ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
100g butter, room temp and very soft
100g icing sugar
200g full fat cream cheese
orange zest to decorate
You will need
12 portion muffin tin
12 paper muffin cases
To make the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan
- In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar, beat until light and fluffy (2-3 mins)
- Add the remaining wet ingredients: eggs, yogurt, grated apple and grated carrot and combine well.
- Then add the dry ingredients: sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and cinnamon into the bowl. Combine gently with a spatula.
- Prep a muffin tin with paper liners in equal portions (an ice cream scoop is really helpful for this)
- Place the muffins in the oven and bake for 20 minutes until completely cooked through, test one with a skewer (the skewer should come out clean)
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire baking rack
To make the icing:
- Beat the butter for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy, adding the icing sugar until combined
- Finally add the cream cheese and combine thoroughly
- Top the cool muffins with a little icing and a grating of orange zest