The sun is finally out! It’s that time of the year again when we all start to wake up from hibernation and look forward to spending more time outside. Having spent the last few months sheltering from the winter, huddled up in our homes, it’s amazing to realise just how much stuffhas likely accumulated.
Spring is the perfect time of year to start decluttering, reclaiming some of your space and giving yourself room to breathe. However, no matter how good your intentions are, family life can hinder these efforts somewhat as often children and everything that comes with them (including time andstuff) generally bring about a certain level of disorder.
Whilst we can’t promise to transform your family home into an oasis of calm and orderliness, there are certainly a few small measures and good habits that can help you regain control of your space. Here, Recycle for London share some handy tips on how to kick off your spring clean whilst building in some ‘green’ habits to help protect the environment.
- Bit by bit – a deep clean can take quite a lot of time, so set aside a smaller task for each day and spread it over a couple of weeks or so.
- If you want to go the extra mile, think about what can get missed from your weekly clean. Some ideas include cleaning your:
- Mattress & cover
- Any outdoor areas
- It’s not all about reorganising and cleaning your stuff, it’s also about getting rid of it. Actually freeing up some space rather than just boxing things away is amazingly cleansing. However, always make sure you do this in the most environmentally friendly way, by either recycling, selling or donating unwanted items rather than throwing them in the bin.
- One Bin is Rubbish! Did you know that you’re more likely to recycle properly if you have a separate recycling container in your home? Rather than just letting your recyclables pile up next to your rubbish bin, invest in a separate recycling bin or container, get more organised and help look after the environment!
- Spring cleaning doesn’t have to be all about the house – have you thought about decluttering your life a little? A couple of ideas include:
- Delete unnecessary social media apps from your phone – all that noise and distraction can lead to stress and poor sleep
- Clear up your bank accounts by reviewing memberships and direct debits – they can quickly drain away precious cash without you realising.
Remember, if your house is clean and tidy, you’re more likely to keep it that way and your belongings will last longer and stay in better condition if looked after properly –it’s definitely a long-term strategy worth investing in!
For more tips on recycling, visit their website here.