With Valentine’s around the corner, we share with you this easy to make recipe by our friend and baby guru, Annabel Karmel.
Prep: 30 minutes (plus chilling time)
Cook: 15 minutes
Makes: 8 biscuits
55g butter, softened
30g caster sugar
¼ tsp vanilla
85g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
Pinch of salt
To Sandwich the Hearts
40g white chocolate, chopped
Icing sugar, for dusting
1 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- You’ll need one 6cm heart-shaped cookie cutter, and another that’s a little smaller. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
- Beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt, then mix in the flour with a wooden spoon. Form into a ball with your hands. If the dough is very soft, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to about 2mm thick. Cut out 16 heart shapes using the larger cutter. Put 8 hearts on a baking sheet. Using the smaller cutter, cut out centres from the remaining hearts. Transfer these heart-shaped rings to the other baking sheet. Chill for 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Bake the rings for 10 – 12 minutes and the solid hearts for 13 – 15 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl set over a pan of warm water, stirring frequently. Remove from the pan when there are still a few lumps, and stir until smooth. Leave for 10–20 minutes to cool and thicken slightly. Meanwhile, dust the cookie rings with icing sugar.
- When the chocolate is cool, spread ½ tablespoon over each solid cookie, leaving a gap around the edge. Put ¼ teaspoon of jam on top. Place the cookie rings on top, and add a little extra jam in the middle if needed. Chill for 10 to 20 minutes until the chocolate has set, then store in a cool place.
Looking for more food inspiration? Unlock a world of exclusive recipes, insider news and special offers by joining the AKClub for free at annabelkarmel.com.