- 2 large chicken breasts, excess fat removed and diced into 2cm cubes
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 ½ tbsp garamasala
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 5 cups boiling water
- 3 stalks kale, leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated and juiced
- Plain Greek yogurt and fresh coriander to serve
Heat a little oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken and saute for 4-5 minutes, until lightly golden. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes until slightly softened. Stir in the rice and spices and cook stirring constantly until the rice is coated in spices. Pour in the boiling water, bring to simmer, cover with lid and cook for approx. 15 minutes until the rice is cooked. Add the kale and keep covered until it has collapsed. Stir through the salt, lemon rind and juice.
Serve topped with a heaped spoonful of yogurt and small handful of fresh coriander leaves.