Today’s festive recipe is by our friends at Metamorphosis Orthodontics. We love it and can’t wait to try it with our kids.
175g dark brown sugar
85g golden syrup
3 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
350g plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 lightly beaten egg
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/Gas 5. Line 2 baking sheets with greaseproof baking paper.
2. Combine the sugar, golden syrup and butter in a pan and lightly heat until melted. Now mix the rest of the ingredients (spices, flour, bicarbonate of soda and egg) in a large bowl and then gradually start to add the melted sugar mixture, ensuring everything is thoroughly mixed together.
3. As the mixture begins to cool, it will start to stiffen and form a dough. At this stage, cover the dough in cling film and
place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. Once an hour has past, remove the dough and roll out to about a 1cm thickness. Use Christmas themed
biscuit cutters to create fun shapes and don’t forget to add a small hole in the top of each biscuit (you can do this with a skewer) so that you’ll be able to hang them on to the Christmas Tree. Now evenly place the biscuits on the lined baking sheets and place in the oven.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden-brown. Once out of the oven, leave on the tray for 10/20 minutes to cool down, before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling.
6. When cooled down, it’s time for the fun – decorating!! You can use coloured icing, hundreds and thousands and all types of sweets to create fun Christmas Tree Biscuits! Once the icing is dry and set, simply tie some coloured ribbon through the holes in the biscuits and hang up on the Christmas! Or just eat them!