Lizzie King is mother of Jethro 9, Calypso 7 and Phoenix 3. She is a Nutritional Health Coach, an author, a graduate of Leith’s School of Cookery and founder of Lizzie Loves Health.
We spoke to Lizzie for her sugar-free cooking tips. She shares with us her 7 steps to sugar free kids.
7 steps to sugar-free kids
- Don’t have refined sugar at home – if you don’t cook with it, they won’t crave it.
- Fast-forward past the sugary food adverts on television.
- Explain to your children what refined sugar does to them using visual cues, such as a roller coaster ride that makes them dizzy.
- Read the labels: secret sugars hide in many unexpected things.
- Offer an alternative such as a banana, trail mix or your own homemade treats. This is the ‘crowding out’ method – crowd in good foods, leaving no room for the bad.
- Don’t introduce a blanket ban – this encourages binge eating.
- Do your main shop online or without your kids if you can – then you won’t be besieged with demands for all the sugary stuff.