This chana masala is incredibly rich in flavour, very cheap to make, extremely easy and healthy too! Stock up on spices and you’re all good to go… definitely one to add to the weekly recipes! If you’re short of time, try this cheatin’ version 🙂
- 2 cloves garlic (use pre-chopped garlic for extra speedy option)
- 1-2 inches root ginger, grated (optional)
- 1 fresh chilli (optional)
- 5 tsp ground cumin
- 5 tsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 6 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped into bite-sized pieces or 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 4 x 400g tins chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250ml/1 cup strong vegan stock (add more little by little, if the mixture is too dry)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 2 handfuls of spinach (optional)
To serve: brown rice, unsweetened vegan yoghurt, fresh coriander, toasted mixed seeds and delicious easy naan bread
- Fry the (optional) grated ginger and fresh chilli in a little oil for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add all of the spices and fry for another minute, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes and tomato puree to the pan and stir into the spice mix.
- Pour over the stock and simmer for 20 minutes until the chickpeas are soft and the liquid has reduced down.
- Stir through the lemon juice and spinach a few minutes before serving and add a little salt or more stock (in a tiny bit of water) if necessary. Enjoy 🙂