This wreath will have all the neighbours jealous. Why waste money on decorations when you can make your own and eat them too! Get baking this holiday with your little ones, its where memories are made.
Recipe by top baby guru Annabel Karmel.
- 180g soft butter
- 130g dark brown sugar
- 60g beaten egg
- 130g black treacle
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 C Fan. Line two large baking sheets with non stick paper.
- Measure the butter and sugar into a large bowl. Whisk together using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and treacle . Whisk until combined. Add the remaining dry ingredients and whisk until the mixture has come together .
- Knead into a firm dough. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 45 minutes until firm.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll out one half to a 10” / 25cm circle about 1 – 1 ½ cm thick . Cut out an inner circle measuring 11 cm diameter. Stamp out a small circle near the edge to make a hole to tie a ribbon.
- Place on one of the baking sheets. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until firm and lightly golden. Leave to cool.
- Roll out the remaining dough including the stamped out circles . using Christmas cutters stamp out Christmas Trees, Starts, Angels etc… Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes , then leave to cool.
- To make the icing. Mix the icing sugar and enough water together to make a smooth paste. Spoon into a small icing bag fitted with a small nozzle.
- Pipe decorations onto the gingerbread shapes . Stick shapes onto the ring using the icing. Tie a ribbon into a bow in the smaller hole so that you can tie the wreath up.