Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
175g parsnips, peeled and grated
175g courgettes, trimmed and grated
200ml hot Earl Grey tea
2 medium eggs
2 tbsp sunflower oil
200g wholemeal self-raising flour
50g porridge oats
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1tbsp poppy seeds
1. Place the grated parsnips, courgettes and sultanas in a mixing bowl and pour the tea over. Allow to stand for 30 minutes until tea is cold.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/160 Fan/Gas 4. Line a 2lb (900g) loaf tin with baking parchment.
3. Place the mixed spice, sugar, eggs and sunflower oil into another mixing bowl and whisk with a balloon whisk for 2 minutes, until well combined. Add to the soaked fruit and tea and stir well.
4. Add the flour, oats, lemon zest and poppy seeds and mix in thoroughly.
5. Spoon into the prepared tin, level the top with the back of a spoon and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer, when inserted into the centre, comes out clean. If the top is getting too brown, cover loosely with a little foil until cooked. Carefully transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
6. When cold, cut into slices to serve.
This recipe was taken from Heart Matters, our award-winning free magazine for anyone with a heart or circulatory condition or at risk of heart disease. For more recipe ideas, check out the Heart Matters online recipe finder.