Thess crispy potato cakes are a tasty way to use up leftover potatoes and they can be served with any meal at any time of the day. They are so good for breakfast or brunch, along with bacon, mushrooms, and spinach.
- Leftover mash potatoes
- Any leftover veg (optional)
- Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- Plain Flour
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Oil & Butter for shallow frying
(The quantities really depend on how many potatoes you have and how big you want the cake to be.)
- Thoroughly mash the potatoes and the veg together.
- Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs on three separate plates for coating.
- Mix in the parmesan with the breadcrumbs.
- Take a palm-sized amount and roll in your hand and flatten to create the cake.
- Coat the cake in the flour all over
- Then coat it all over in the beaten egg
- And cover in the breadcrumbs mixture all over
- Heat the pan with some oil and butter
- Shallow fry the cakes on medium/high heat for 2-4 minutes until golden brown on each side
- (The thicker the cake, the longer they take. So keep them slimmer so as not to burn the coating.)
This leftovers recipe comes from Fiona McGuire.