Makes 10 | Prep 10 mins | Bake 14 – 20 mins
20g baking powder 50g unsalted butter 50g caster sugar 100ml milk
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and rub the butter in until the mixture
resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Create a well in the middle of the mixture and add
the sugar, mixing thoroughly. This recipe is for plain scones but if you wish to add any fruit or
flavourings such as sultanas, cinnamon or vanilla, now is the time to do so.
4. Pour in the liquid gradually until a dough is formed and all the ingredients are nicely
5. Remove the dough from the bowl and flatten on a clean surface.
6. Using a biscuit cutter, cut into rounds and place on a
lined baking tray. Glaze the top of each scone with the beaten egg and rest for ten minutes.
7. Bake for 14 – 20 minutes until lightly golden brown and risen.
You can view more recipes here for a little inspiration.