These tender chicken strips are glazed in a smoky, sticky barbecue sauce that’s quick to make at home. Served with sweetcorn-studded brown rice and crunchy cabbage slaw – the whole family will love this recipe!
And best of all? It is only 539 calories.
Order the recipe box from www.MindfulChef.com and they will deliver all the ingredients to your door so you don’t even need to go to the shops.
100g sweetcorn (drained)
150g red cabbage
1 tbsp oil
250g steamed brown basmati rice
2 garlic cloves
2 spring onions
2 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp chipotle paste
2 tsp honey
2 x 170g free-range chicken breast
Medium handful of fresh coriander
1. Slice the chicken breast into strips. Heat a medium-sized pan with 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium heat, add the chicken strips and season with black pepper. Cook for 2 mins each side until turning golden.
2. Meanwhile, to make the barbecue sauce; finely dice the garlic and place into a small mixing bowl. Combine with the chipotle paste, tomato puree, tamari, honey, the juice from 1/4 of the lime and 4 tbsp cold water.
3. Pour the barbecue sauce into the pan with the chicken and coat. Cook for 3 mins, then a further 5 mins with a lid on, until chicken is tender and cooked through (add a little more water to the barbecue sauce if needed).
4. Roughly chop the coriander and drain the sweetcorn. Heat a medium-sized pan with 1/2 tbsp oil on a medium heat, add the brown rice, 2 tbsp water, sweetcorn and half of the coriander. Cook for 5 mins.
5. To make the slaw; finely slice the red cabbage, grate the carrot and slice the spring onions. Place all the ingredients in a bowl with the remaining coriander. Squeeze over the juice from the remaining lime.
6. To serve, spoon the sweetcorn rice over two warm plates and serve the barbecue-style chicken alongside with the slaw.