We were inspired by one of our Kensington Kids to make this calming mindful glitter jar to help with negative feelings or tantrums where a child may feel they need something to help them calm. The glitter can represent all our feelings and the children can have a visual way to see how the glitter representing their feelings may feel muddled up and then settle again.
What do you need ?
A journey to local arts and crafts centre for one and once there we purchased
- A glass Jar
- Glitter of your choice we chose purple and pink
- Clear glue alternatively you can use glitter glue
- Food colouring again your choice of colour we chose rose pink
- Add warm water to your jar until it reaches around a third of the way up.
- Stir the glitter and glue in a separate jar
- Pour it into the jar with warm water
- Add around 3 drops of food colouring and stir with a lollipop stick
- Top up yourjar with the rest of the warm water, until it is almost full.
- Glue around the lid
- Put the lid on
- Shake and calm
- Help people calm down. If you are anxious, keep your eyes on the glitter and watch it slowly start to fall to the bottom of the jar.
- Teach focusing skills.
- Help regulate emotions.
- Increase sensory awareness.
- Increase self-awareness.