Today’s recipe is by Lucinda Miller, a mother of three from Nature Doc to celebrate Pancake Day on Tuesday 9th of February 2016.
This is a great healthy brain-boosting way to start the day. These buckwheat breakfast pancakes are sure to be wolfed down by your gang! Little will they know they are gluten-free and free-from refined sugar.
Buckwheat is a seed rather than a grain and is naturally gluten free. Buckwheat is bursting with magnesium and is a very important nutrient for the developing brain. The high levels of manganese can help to prevent energy dips and it is also protein dense, so it helps to keep your little ones fuller for longer.
Buckwheat has quite a distinctive taste on its own. However newbies to a brain boosting diet, may take time to get used to this, so in this recipe I have blended it with some gluten free flour to lighten the taste.
120 g Buckweat Flour This is one American cup. Buy from large super markets or online
140 g Gluten free plain flour This again is one American cup. We use Dove’s Farm
1/2 teaspoon Salt Pink Himalayan or Celtic
1 1/4 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda AKA baking soda
50 g Coconut palm sugar
4 tablespoon Butter melted and cooled
250 g Yoghurt We use goat or sheep yoghurt
300 ml Milk Full fat and organic, goat’s milk or almond milk
1/2 teaspoon Coconut oil or butter to fry
- Blend all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Blend all the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together and stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan (preferably cast iron) to a fairly hot temperature (we put ours at level 7 out of 9 – too cold and they will stick, too hot and they will burn).
- Lightly coat the pan with some coconut oil butter or ghee. Don’t use too much fat in the pan, it should only be coated to stop the pancakes from sticking. The additional fat will probably only be needed for the first pancake.
- Pour enough batter to make a circular pancake about 10cm in diameter.
- As soon as the batter bubbles, flip over and cook the other side briefly.
- Serve warm with fresh berries or other sliced fruit and organic maple syrup.Happy Pancake Day!