10 Ways To Be A Money-Savvy Mum
Sometimes the hardest thing about saving money is just getting started. We all know that having kids can be expensive, but there are some sure-fire ways to save money. Saving money as a mother can seem difficult or just near impossible. We share 10 ways to be a money savvy mum. A study done in 2008, showed that 43% of all couples it’s the woman who makes decisions in more areas than the man.
- Shop Local. We fully support this. Shopping locally is a popular trend we have seen popping up everywhere from social media to the local news. Shopping local helps local business grow in your area, you’re putting money back into your own community and promoting local job growth. What is there not to like? Going to your local farmers market is a way of shopping local.
- Go local. Check out your neighbourhood and make the most of local playgrounds, parks attractions that are free to visit. We love the museums of South Kensington, including Victoria and Albert Museum, Science Museum and Natural History Museum just to name a few. We also love our local parks and libraries offering many children and baby activities (pre-Covid). Some of our favourite local parks includes Holland Park and Hyde Park. Just grab a picnic weather permitting and enjoy your day.
- Discount cards. Hunt down the best in membership or loyalty cards for some helpful and local savings and discounts. Kensington Mums has a fantastic VIP card which entitles you to exclusive discounts and benefits at over 50 local businesses across six key categories. A great way to help small businesses, be part of a community and save. Kensington Mums VIP card is entirely electronic, making it easy and convenient to take everywhere you go as you carry it with you on your phone!
- Record your expenses. The first step to start saving money is to figure out how much you spend. Keep track of all your expenses—that means every coffee, oyster card, and household shopping. You may be surprised about where your money is going. If you keep a record of what you spend you will see how little expenses add up. This may also influence how and when you spend and change some of your spending habits.
- Look for annual savings. If you have a local farm or London attraction near you that the children like going to then it may save you money by buying an annual pass. This is also great to create family traditions that you can go back to over with your friends and family too..
- Meal preparations. If you select recipes or meals for the week and prepare what you will eat this is likely to save you money in the long term as you wont waste food that doesn’t get eaten. You can cook ahead also and freeze meals to defrost. We have lovely of easy family recipes, check them out.
- Sell pre-loved baby items. Is your family complete? Whether selling them online or giving them to your local charity shop or via your local notice board, there are always people looking for baby gear and its nice to have pass me down clothes. Use the proceeds towards whatever it is you need to get them now.
- Find your mama tribe. Get another parent to buddy up with you, sitting with your kids while you go out and vice versa. Its always nice to help another fellow mama, after all they say it takes a village to raise a child.
- Book Swap. Sick of an old storybook, DVD or toy? Why not ask another mum if she wishes to swap with you? You both get something new and no money is spent. This is great if your kids are growing up and are in need of new motivational or educations toys.
- Shop during sales. If you have to shop be it for a new occasion or back to school items, try and buy them upfront since you know your kids will be growing up. It is easier to plan with children as you already know what they like and don’t like. Always check out car book sales, you are bound to find something at bargain prices.
Best recommendation to save is by getting our Kensington Mums VIP card is so simply to use and the best part is that you don’t need to carry it with you on your wallet because it is entirely electronic, so you carry it with you on your phone!
The Kensington Mums VIP card entitles you to exclusive discounts and benefits at over 50 local businesses across six key categories. Please click here to see all the amazing offers and start saving.